[descriptions purposely semi-vague and not necessarily in chronological order]
please let me know if you downloaded these and gave them a listen :) thanks!
passionately painful -- the soundtrack of phantom (rock and near-middle eastern sounds. mellow)
- The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony -- Regal but melancholy, this is Phantom's theme song if there ever was one. Describes his first flights after the initiation ceremonies, where he realizes he is now freer than any human alive, but fettered like never before.
- Muse - Bliss -- Time to get down to business. After the formal introductions to his new squadron, Phantom finds he doesn't much like his teammates, commanding officers, or his partner Pacifica. Much to his chagrin, the feeling is completely mutual. But his life depends on theirs, so they have to cooperate somehow.
- Coldplay - Spies -- He grows isolated from the life he knew in idyllic Sept Cites, he shuns the public eye, he grows ever more secluded in the tiny world that insulates Pacifica and himself. Phantom abandons himself to his life of duty, thinks of nothing else. Anything and anyone else is mere distraction.
- Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic -- Turmoil surrounds Phantom, but he knows he has one refuge -- one immature, strongheaded, sometimes terrifying refuge -- where he may not be respected, but he is at least understood. One out of two is all he can ask for.
- Hurricane #1 - Only The Strongest Will Survive -- As the years in the squadron continue on, officers and comrades fall in combat again and again. The loneliness takes him by surprise, and conjures up memories of an abandonment long ago.
- The Smashing Pumpkins - Crestfallen -- Broken promises from friends and supposed caretakers. Twice over his life nearly ends, both at the hands of the two governments he serves. He survives only because he trained Pacifica to never quit.
- Anouar Brahem - Khotan -- Oud solo. Memories of long-gone summer evenings on the balcony, picking out little tunes on his oud with an eagle feather risha.
- Xaik Yiazitzian - Antonis Aperghis - Firewalkers Dance -- Phantom and his childhood friends' favorite song. As teenagers they sometimes performed it at taverns for small change (to buy drinks they oughtn't!) Two ouds, a doumbek, and a dancer in a sometimes-skimpy dress?
- Children Of The Revolution - Broken Pieces -- A deceptively upbeat-sounding song. After a life like Phantom's had, can you blame him if he hits the bottle once in a while? ... or even more than that?
- Haris Alexiou - With Blessings -- The inevitable separation from old values, of mystical devotions and oaths taken at an age when he was too young to understand the consequences. Enough is enough. Phantom finally breaks away, loses his wings but gains his freedom.
- Giannhs Savidakis - H Thalassa -- The sea is the source of his strength and the embodiment of his unrelenting devotion. Phantom fears drowning but is still drawn to the waves. It is where his and Pacifica's life truly intersect.
- Bonus Track: WA-M - 情景(ほたる) -- A dirge. The ephemerality of life, the tiny bursts of light from fireflies, a cycle doomed to repeat.
- Bonus Track 2: North - Pacifica -- Too eerily appropriate to not be in this list. The music is so-so but the lyrics are quite nice.
***** download phantom's OST (~68 MB)
painfully passionate -- the soundtrack of pacifica (mostly pop and techno sounds. intense)
- Doves - Sea Song -- Everything is as constant and repetitive as the crashing of waves. With one death Pacifica is given a new life, with one success comes a great downfall. Balance and counterbalance, all in cyclical rhythm. She follows in the footsteps of others like her, others raised and trained in the same manner who all failed. All unbeknownst to her.
- Real Life - Send Me An Angel -- She doesn't want rescuing, she doesn't need rescuing. But she asks for an angel anyway. Instead, she gets a ghost with wings.
- Natasha St-Pier - Un ange frappe a ma porte -- Pacifica's life unconsciously begins to revolve around her guardian. The closer they become and the deeper she digs, the more she is both repulsed and mystified. She is filled with pity for someone so proud who only comes to her aid reluctantly, and would rather die than ask for hers.
- Mary Mary - Shackles (Praise You) -- In the city of her birth, she becomes an accidental queen. Publicity, intrusion, acknowledgement and flattery, she accepts it grudgingly but relishes the unrestricted life it seems to give.
- Kanye West - We Don't Care -- Childhood wasn't exactly school o' hard knocks, but she was the only survivor. We weren't supposed to make it until 25, joke's on you, we're still alive! Not that she escaped her young years without a life sentence.
- Jay-Z and Linkin Park - Numb/Encore -- A lifelong debt to repay, obliged to repay, she dives into it. Training, education, conditioning, sparring. Everything, she becomes a virtuoso in everything. And even when her skills can't get her by, she still leaps in. Not just because she has to.
- Daft Punk - Human After All -- Growing up in complete isolation, Pacifica has no reference for social norms. Everything comes to her through a medium: tv, books, magazines. Anything said is something she heard somewhere. Anything experiences is something she was told she had to try. (Perhaps she's not so different from the rest of us?)
- Madonna - What It Feels Like For A Girl (DJ Duane Thamm's Extended Dance Video Remix) -- Most of her squadron is made of women, but there's no love lost there. Gender sensitivity, gender roles, gender double standards, she is a complete tabula rasa with no expectations.
- move - blue jewel -- Two amulets shift the balance of power in her partnership. She is forced to relinquish her complete domination and command over a man sworn to her service and divvy up half of everything she can do. The playing field becomes terrifyingly equal.
- Underworld - Dinosaur Adventure 3D -- Passion and Intensity, she knew, everyone knew she has those. But devotion? A loyalty unrivaled? It takes even her by surprise. No matter how many (figurative!) bullets she takes, she persists without hesitation.
- Everything but the Girl - Walking Wounded -- A partnership she took for granted, he took for granted. It's time to go separate ways. A violent split lead to an undirected and vague future.
- Coca & Villa - La Noche -- She is the leader of her squadron, an indispensible tool, a media goldmine. The adrenaline of the chase, sometimes unstoppable, often not intentional or desired. A magnificent power that cannot be restrained.
- Michael Hutchence - the Passenger -- In the end, even when she tries to leave her city, it pulls her right back in.
- Bonus track: The Calling - Stigmatized -- A song that she and Phantom share. Stuck in rush-hour traffic out of the city, they switch on the radio. Ginger ale and cheap noodles in the cup holders, pop rock on the speakers, gridlock for three hours -- they are forced to converse.
***** download pacifica's OST (~100 MB)
the download links will be deleted in a few days, so after that point, buy the music yourself!
PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU DOWNLOAD! :D thanks!